Thread: Cure for cancer
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
A close friend of mine is a medical researcher at Oxford. I won't be showing her this thread, as she already mocks Americans (including me) enough as it is . . . She also has less than zero interest in baseball and baseball cards.

There are many things to say on the topic, but I'll leave it at that cancer isn't one thing and a company or person who had the cure for 'cancer' WOULD make a TON of money. There are 15,112,098 people with cancer in the US alone. At whatever-charge X 15,112,098, a company with the cure would make a ton of money. An incredibly modest $10,000 x 15,112,098 = $141,120,980,000, which is more than amazon, Verizon and GE's total worth. And that's only for US cancer patients. Now tell me which company is going to pass that up? And, of course, that $10,000 is so incredibly modest that it's absurd, and any company with the cure for cancer would be the richest company in the world.
Exactly. There is no single company involved, there are hundreds of companies desperate to find a cure for financial or other reasons. There are many thousands of researchers at non-profits and universities looking for a cure. Each would love to be the first to discover a break through. I worked in the genetics industry and was involved in cancer related testing. The incentives are huge for even a minor step forward and there are a ton of independent parties pursuing it.

Also as others have stated, cancer is not a single disease, it is a large category that includes dozens and dozens of diseases.