View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 05:22 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Hi Jeff, I know - I get hung up on the grade sometimes. I need to trust myself when I think a lower grade card is nicer and ignore the higher graded one.

I also tend to have losses because I have no patience - I just auction off duplicates right away.

My examples aren't on Nags or high priced cards - I'm talking about 35 Chicle low numbered non HOFers - the prices have gotten really low! I just saw a PSA 7 sell around 120. Psa 4 cards get down around 40, similar for 5s and 6s - not sure if collectors are exiting this set or what, but it's definitely a better time to start collecting this set than when I started. I wish I could have gotten these prices at the beginning.
I hear you on the Chicles. That's why as much as possible I try not to escalate prices above VCP on anything I buy. I'd rather wait for a price that's reasonable. Also the card market goes up and down just like any market. I'm a big believer that the Chicle set (and football in general!) will increase in value over time but like anything, there will be peaks and valleys. As it's impossible to time the market perfectly, I just try to buy stuff I think is a decent deal and sell doubles when I think the market is a bit crazy. Otherwise I hang onto them if I can afford it and wait for the market to come back.

With the stock market taking a huge hit this last quarter, ANY industry/hobby that relies upon disposable income will see a bit of a hit. There's just less disposable cash floating around out there. Cards are no different in my mind.

Final point is that when the stock market is hot, you get a lot of speculators showing up who are trying to buy and flip things on the rise. That's never a good time for collectors to purchase items. Now that the market has cooled, I'm seeing some really nice deals out there on some sets / items. I agree that now is the time to pick up some of those things you want that were overpriced before.

Always a fun conversation to talk about cards with respect to the economy / stock market as it adds a bit of a twist to collecting.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 10-30-2015 at 05:23 AM.