Thread: Shanus-REA suit
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't have a problem mediating but I will never voluntarily participate in an arbitration. Yes, I am sure that the fees in this case were high. But that can also occur in a long, ugly arbitration. I have a friend who is arguing an appeal of an arbitration award he won in a business dispute at the 10th Circuit next week. Its been going on for years. His fees are huge, as are the fees of the other side's attorney, I'm sure. Plus, you also get to pay the fees of the arbitrator or the arbitration panel if there is more than one. I also think that process is skewed in favor of those who participate in arbitration frequently. No thanks. I'll take a jury any day.
The commercial arbitrations I have been involved in, and I am not saying they were inexpensive by any means, greatly streamlined the motion practice and massive discovery that make complex civil litigation so inordinately expensive. It may not be true in every instance, but assuming you have a dispute that isn't going to be resolved by dispositive motion or settlement, arbitration usually will end up costing less in my opinion. Now of course as you rightly point out there may be other reasons you would still prefer a jury or bench trial, no question.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.