View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I never trusted those Tiffany production numbers. Back in the day when McGwire was hot it seemed there was an endless number of them.
On the Tiffany sets I have in my collection, the set's serial number is stamped on each box's bottom....in each case the set number is below the "stated" production number. I would have to believe that if a collector had a set with a stamped number higher than the stated/estimated production that this fact would have been revealed by now, but I have not heard of such a claim.

If more sets were produced than the estimated production amounts, than another theory could be that Topps produced multiple sets with the same serial number....but again I have not seen any collectors or dealers bring this fact forward either.

While it may have seemed like there were an endless number of McGwire RCs out there, there are only 1258 that are on record with PSA which is just over 25% of the alleged production amounts. This pct is probably a realistic number for such a card.

Surprisingly, these Tiffany cards do not have greater demand as their supply is exceedingly low as compared to their regular issue counterparts. Recent auction sales of sealed 85 TT sets were in the $700-900 range.