View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I can see why you feel this way, he's not even smiling. For me though, this just happened to be the first "old" (before the term vintage was en vogue) baseball card I ever owned of a Hall of Famer. My mother paid maybe $15 for it at a shop when I was about 11 in 1988. So to me, again just for purely personal nostalgia - this will always be one of the end-all, be-all vintage cards. Luckily they can be had pretty cheaply still today in 2018. I picked up a nice PSA 6 a few years back.
That's cool, John. A sentimental, emotional attachment, especially one from your dear mother, will always win out. The 1966 Topps Sandy Koufax isn't bad; I just wish he looked happier. At least he isn't grimacing the way Willie Mays looked in 1961. Much of the time, Say Hey looked spectacular, such as '53, '54 - '56, '58 - '60, '62 - '69. Back to Mr. Koufax, most of the time Sandy's Topps cards looked terrific, as did his Bazooka, Post Cereal, and JELL-O. Some of his best were the Bell Brand, Morrell, and the Dodgers' official postcards.

Have a happy new year, John. All the best. --- Brian Powell