Thread: August pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2023, 03:22 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Jaimie that’s an incredible addition to your collection. That’s a special photo. Although my pickup pales in comparison I am probably just as thrilled as you are. There are very few images of the elusive Rimp Lanier. This is the only action photo I have ever seen of him. He played in 6 games batting 4 times during a brief 1971 September call up. He didn’t play an inning in the field before he returned to the minors never to play another game in an MLB uniform. He was the victim of the depth of the 1970s Pirate Roster. He played 7 minor league seasons and ended his career with a .428 career on base percentage.

Anything related to Rimp is rare. These two photos are as rarer than his autograph. For whatever reason he is very private if not reclusive. His autograph on a 3X5 will sell for over $300 if you can find one. I have no idea why but he fascinates me. A few years ago I found his address and mailed him two copies of my team issued publicity photo and $50. I included a self addressed postage paid envelope and a sharpie. I asked that he sign one and keep the other. I told him use or donate the money to his favorite charity. He kept both photos and the cash LOL. One day if I muster the courage I’ll fly to Cleveland and knock on his door. That would be an awesome or perhaps dangerous adventure. It might be worth the risk to get one of these photos signed,
ANOTHER great story, Mike. Soooo….I know a little of the Pirates’ hat history but am not familiar with the one Rimp is wearing, as he leans on the fence.