View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default The Find that Never Was....

Posted By: Iggy...

In the late 1990's one of my sisters ran into an old friend who she hadn't seen in over 30 years. This lady had recently moved from New York and casually mentioned that she had a bunch of "very old" baseball cards in shoe boxes which she wanted to sell. They belonged to her late brother. My sister, well aware of my addiction, explains the story to me and asked if I was interested. Needless to say, the next weekend I was driving with my sister to the ladies apartment and dreaming of the cards I might find. We arrive at the apartment, and after some salutations, along with some cookies, along with 45 minutes of talking, along with some tea, along with some more talking. She finally digs into the closet and pulls-out four heavy and very old looking shoe boxes. Now, this lady was a talker, so before she hands me one of the boxes I have to hear a bunch of more stories about her past. I'm trying to be polite but my eyes keep focusing on the shoe boxes and the perspiration on my forehead was becoming quite noticeable. I tried to asked her questions about the cards but all she knew was that they were old and valuable. So, finally...after a couple of hours of talking, she hands me the boxes. My heart starts beating one-hundred miles a minute in anticipation.....I opened-up the boxes and........Argh!..........nothing but early to late 1970's baseball and football cards and almost all of them in lower grade. She noticed my disappointment, but I just didn't have the heart to tell her the cards were not worth that much $$$...

Lovely Day...