View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Well the link was to my auction (I was being a bit opportunist lol) so I'd like to think there's at least one reputable guy advertising there (though I don't use their auction platform) and Saco has certainly advertised lots of perfectly good autographs in the past, and even in this auction.

I'm not an autograph buyer, but I have won tobacco cards in auctionzip hosted online auctions with no problems. I know TONS of reputable auctioneers who at the very least advertise there, if not hold their auctions on the platform.

I would argue that a general auction house selling memorabilia needs to be vetted very carefully, but an experienced sports house (like myself, or Saco) should usually be pretty safe. I feel bad for Saco if the Ruth isn't good as I know I have had to rely on third party authentication due to my lack of autograph expertise, of course I'm no fan of JSA but that's another story.
That's nice to know. I have never heard of Saco, so i'll take your word for it. For what it's worth, I do like JSA. If Saco uses them in house they probably just did him a favor. Now I'm all excited to look at The Auction Zip Nada Nothing is real site again with fresh eyes. Will there still be layers of forgeries ? Is Saco the only trusted dealer on the platform? Why would Saco use a site with that reputation? Are they better than Philippines Bay? Is anybody as bad as Philippines bay? Why O why O why? I would not want my Babe Ruth Autograph on a Hotel Receipt. It's just fishy with or without the cert.

If you start from the place that just about every cut or item like that is fake, throw in Auction Zip & that's just a tough hurdle to get over. Good luck in any case.