View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default Opening 1991 Topps Wax Packs...

I just stumbled across an internet article where the blogger mentioned in all the wax packs he opened in 1991, he never pulled a Vintage card. If you remember, in 1991 it was the 40th Anniversary and Topps placed one of each vintage card made in packs randomly. The blogger had only heard of two pulls, a 1971 and a 1975 common.

1991 was the last year I have ever opened a pack...and honestly I had been done for about a year. But I had found myself in a Costco and was suckered in to buying like 4 boxes. I remember at home that night I pulled a 1970 Topps Cito Gaston card. I actually put all the cards I opened, including the 70 card, back into the wax boxes and put them up in the attic. When I got back into collecting (vintage sets) I remembered that Cito and after digging for hours to find it, it is sitting in my binder with my complete 1970 set. I was born that year, so to me it is really cool I can say I pulled one of my 1970 cards out of a pack...myself.

Anyway...does anyone here have any good memories from 1991 pulling any Vintage cards, or knows someone who did? My local shop has about 8 boxes of 1991 wax..I was thinking it would be fun to rip into them. At 4.95 a box it sounds like cheap fun, although I wouldn't know what the heck to do with all those 91 Topps...haha...

Isn't the 91 Topps the first run of cards to insert random "lottery" type cards?

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03