View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 07:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
I was reading Tyler's thread about adding pictures, and was inspired to start this so as not to hijack Tyler's thread. Dale first started by showing hockey players are tougher than basketball, then Bill showed football was toughest. Related, here is a link to some of the worst hockey injuries ever. WARNING, THE VIDEOS ARE VERY GRAPHIC IN THIS ARTICLE. GREUSOME, HORRIFIC INJURIES, BLOOD SPATTERING, ETC. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE SIGHT OF INJURIES.

https://m.ranker.com/list/brutal-hoc...es/laura-allan

Hockey is (was some may say) one of the toughest games to play.
I remember some of those game/injuries, which are brutal to see live let alone the slow motion replays after or some of the Youtube videos you just showed, edjs.

Personally, and I am likely biased being a CDN and a hockey coach/trainer, but I think "it is" the toughest sport/game to play.
I have been fortunate, being a trainer, that I have never encountered anything severe or remotely close to what you have posted, but I do remember vividly when my son got hurt (crashed into the boards hard) and I thought he was bleeding profusely as I ran onto the ice. Turned out, thankfully, it was just the red taped end of his hockey stick sticking out from underneath his helmet and nothing more. He got his bell rung so he sat the rest of the game, after I checked his pupils, then off to the hospital we went afterwards to get checked out by a Doctor.

The game has changed immensely the last 5 years and with today's speed of the game and some of the players, it is a good thing it is not as vicious as it once was.

I know your article only speaks of Bill Masterson, but there were far more deaths than his during the early stages of hockey.
When I was researching my Beehive hockey cards, I couldn't believe how vicious/deadly hockey was way back in the early days!
Money was scarce as were jobs so some did what they thought they had to do in order to continue getting paid and to retain a job.
(Not the article I was hoping for as it covers all deaths, but you will see more that died during the game or the result of the game than just Bill Masterson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...laying_careers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shanahan quote..jpg (55.4 KB, 24 views)