View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 10:53 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Saturday another full day at the show. Crowd seemed pretty heavy and while selection has been picked over I still found was to spend my money.

I need three cards to finish 1961 Nu Card football set including the most expensive card Ernie Davis. Spotted a partial full unopened box 19+ packs sticker said $320 but negotiated to $170 hey collectors of the shiny stuff pay $10 for a pack so why can’t I? Was going to open it tonight at the OBC swap party but to much other activity going on so I’ll bust it open when I get home. Discovered the set includes some inserts in each pack I didn’t even know about. Hopefully I’ll pull that Ernie Davis card from a pack and use the others to upgrade my set. I gave one empty wrapper to Sam T who needed one for his set binder always great to help a friend. I know there might be some value in the wrappers and even the empty box so I’m glad I bought it. Also a couple flyers in the box for retailers. That’s gonna be fun!

Other pickups more exhibit baseball and random hits to my list. Revisited the dealer who sold me those red World on Wheels SP high numbers and he had another waiting for me at $37. So I picked up a total go four SP high numbers with red backs for $50 $50 $37 and $1 avg $35 that’s pretty good right? More Civil War News and other non sports overall another great day.

Final purchase of the day left me wondering if I had made a good purchase or not. Dealer saw my OBC hat and called me to his table to see my wantlist. I asked to look at his Red Man baseball cards as I only need a few and he had some I needed. 1952 Larry Doby and Ted Williams 1953 Stan Musial (last Card needed) and 1954 George Kell. All cards had the tabs cut off. Dealers sticker price came to over $600 he discounted to $350 and I almost choked. Then the dealer asked me what I wanted to pay. Of course the Ted Williams holds good value as does Musial who finishes my set. I counter with $150 which the dealer accepts. Dang it should have came in lower rookie mistake. After the show I ran the scenario back to Mac W and his offer would have been $100 so maybe I learned a $50 lesson plus I did get a Ted Williams and Stan Musial Red Man cards. And on a related note, I know exactly where this dealer is and he does have a large inventory and I want another crack at him! Call me “Low Ball Larry” lol

Our annual OBC trading session pizza party was a huge success thanks to Sam T and wife for hosting! Thanks to all the dealers who gave us cards for our rookies to scour through!

Closing in on 1am hard to tell what tomorrow will bring. I’ve seen the dealers really mark down their stuff and present good buying opportunities for collectors. I’ve also seen dealers start to lock things down at noon. We shall see!

“Low Ball Lawrence”