View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Pele cards

If we are talking just about the Pele rookies. I used to think that the ALFA was the preferred card, but now I think that I am on the Quigol. The case for the ALFA (for me) was that it was issued in 1958 at the World Cup where he made his international debut (and came into immediate stardom)... it is cardboard (instead of thinner paper) and I loved the photo of him looking confused or angry (or focused) in an absolutely full stadium in the background.

The Quigol has taken on a life of its own. I believe one sold for nearly $15k in and HA auction recently, so it is definitely getting the love! The card design is cool and it is at least "thicker" paper, so it is not as thin as the Titulares. I also like the VAV a lot and it seems to me to be "rarer" than either of the Brazilian issues (Quigol/Titulares - except card #86) or the ALFA, but given that he shares the card with VAVA, it is less desirable than the Quigol or the ALFA.

In the end, I think that the market has voted for the Quigol and I will not really fight that assessment too hard, though I think that any of these 5 cards are great cards/stickers to have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low Res Scans_0010.jpg (74.2 KB, 233 views)
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards