View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default W/Strip card? fell from hole in my NY tenement ceiling yesterday

Posted By: Joseph Jesselli

Occasionally small pieces or paint or rock fall from a hole near a water pipe in the ceiling of my NYC bathroom. This fell yesterday. Obviously, the card has been discovered only because of a water problem, consequently the sad condition. The card has a blank back. Here we go:

I am a collector of early baseball memorabilia, but I'm not a big card guy. I've checked the most recent SCD Standard Guide I have (2002) and came up blank. This page from Old Cardboard's web site:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/w/red-bg-game-cards/red-bg-game-cards.asp?cardsetID=852

seems to be close. The card they've used as a sample (Hogan-Giants) belies their 1921? designation--that set probably dates from 1928-32 when Hogan played for the Giants. My guy (Jim Elliot) played for Brooklyn from 1925-30...so 1928-30 seems more like it. BUT...though the cards have a similar typeface and playing card motif, they are different in that my card seems to have no number and has the manufacturer's logo upper right, that company being the Universal Toy & Novelty Co., which, of course, has a baseball card history. My guess is that both cards are Universal Toy & Novelty product, but are different years. But I am a novice at this: can anyone ID my card for me?

And, yes, I'll be getting up on a ladder with a flashlight to further investigate that hole.