Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Phil,
What % of HOFers is there near quasi-universal agreement on
what their RC card, not cards, is. That hardly a representative
example IMO. It's like arguing about the greatest player ever,
makes for great banter but hardly a consensus. That's just my
POV, but the lack of consensus keeps it from being a more popular
niche IMO.
My opinion is that someone just needs to make an opinion and then just go with it. For example, Barry Larkin has multiple rookie cards, but PSA decided that the 1997 Fleer would be the one to go into their HOF Rookie registry. Once that was done, people just collected that one to fill their slot. This is just like at work when someone has to make the call. I think if someone got a real rookie registry past PSA, and got them to publish it in their Registry, and then the other major registries like SGC and Beckett followed with the same list, it would be done. That would be the definitive list, and people would just go with it. IMHO, most collectors are just followers, and once some group with some kind of authority like PSA or SCD or Beckett decide on a list, they'll just follow it and collect to the list. If someone has disagreements to the list, they can just get the list version, and then also get the one that they want, and publish that image to their slot also. For example, if the Ty Cobb rookie was decided to be the 1907 Wolverine News portrait, and you wanted the W600 Cobb instead as the rookie, you could first get the portrait card, upload that to your slot, and then also upload the image of your W600 Cobb to your slot also. If the TPG's decided that you could have multiple cards fulfill that slot for the player, that'd be fine too. So then in that example, you could have both the Wolverine News card or the W600, whichever you preferred.