View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 04:29 AM
J!m.b0n0v!ch

I listened to a segment regarding the Aaron signing price on the local talk show on my way into work one day this week. It was really interesting to hear non-collector responses. Every caller said they would not pay that much for a signature even though it's Hank Aaron - a baseball and cultural icon, and, not to mention, a local "hero" to many people in the area who grew up watching him play in person.

Everyone said he should be able to charge whatever he wants but the reasons given against getting one were:

- personal budget restraints
- disinterest/indifference in memorabilia
- protestations of Aaron's recent political statements
- just not thinking his autograph is worth that much.

Obviously, there is often some monetary/investment component to paying this much for an autograph of someone very famous, but isn't a lot of the price for the "privilege" of meeting the person too?

I would consider paying this much if I had room in my collecting budget right now. Aaron is getting up in age and there may not be many more opportunities to get an IP signature. I am disappointed that I never met my childhood baseball hero Kirby Puckett. I can imagine many baby boomers may feel the same about Hank Aaron.

Last edited by CamaroCPA; 05-23-2014 at 04:33 AM. Reason: clarification