View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default "Race card played in failure to sell Honus collectible"

Posted By: john/z28jd

I doubt my Wagner story helps but i didnt buy the reprint. It was given to me by an older seller who was leaving the card collecting business and had a table of about 15 cards left,mostly nice ones.I bought a Joss,pitching a Bresnahan,batting and a Beckley from him passing on the Mathewson card he had which was either the white cap or black cap. When i paid for the cards he gave me the reprinted Wagner as a bonus.He kept it on display in his store with the real t206s. I dont know where the guy was from exactly but it was somewhere close to Cherry Hill,NJ as that was where the show was and i remember taking his card just in case i wanted to buy the Mathewson later on which i never did.

I do have an interesting story about a card dealer named Ed Walsh who used to run shows at the Asbury Park Convention Center back in the 80's early 90's. He had a card store in Eatontown NJ and he had a Wagner reprint with a price tag of $10,000 on it in his display case.On the sticker on back it said something like, has one small crease so i'll take $5 for it.Well apparently someone who didnt see the back of the card broke into his store one night and walked off with just the Wagner card,nothing else. I bet they got a nice surprise when they realized they risked their freedom for $5