View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default The Sporting News

Posted By: Silver King

This is a little of topic of cards but I located a great website for all the Sporting News archives at www.paperofrecord.com. Perhaps most of you are already aware of this site, but for those who don't know, this is fun stuff.

I am heading to St. Louis next week to visit relatives and part of my reason for going was to go visit The Sporting News Research Center. The website is still up and running and it states that their research center has lots of archives, pictures, etc. I've been concentrating on pre-1900 baseball research and have been gathering a few cards and doing a lot of reading. I couldn't wait to visit the research center and wondered if one full day would be enough. I called this morning to make my required reservation at the research center only to find out that the center closed last May. I was very disappointed at first, but then the guy tells me that all of the Sporting News copies are on line at www.paperofrecord.com. It's free to sign up and the site includes newspaper archives from all over the world. Be careful, the site boasts 21 million images so you can spend a lot of time researching. The site includes newspapers from all over the world. The Sporting News happens to be located under Missouri newspapers.

It's pretty cool being able to read articles about the players we collect.

Also wondering if anybody ever went to the research center while it was open?