View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 07:09 PM

Default 40th Bday Present From Wife: 51 Mantle (My Dream Card)

Hello everyone! For my very first post in this message board, I'd like to share a story that just happened to me not too long ago:

A few weeks ago, I ended up telling my wife about how my coworker wants to go skydiving for his 40th birthday. After that discussion, it lead to the question of what I want when I turn 40 (I'm still 38). I confessed to her my fear of getting a stroke or passing away before I'm 50 (runs in my family), which is the reason I'd rather get the "big present" at 40. She was unhappy to hear that I thought that, but I was just being honest. So to finally answer her question, I told her I'd like a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle RC (PSA 1). I've wanted that card since I was a kid. She asked me how much it will cost and I replied: "$2-3k right now." I truly thought she was not going to take me serious and say: "Yeah right, that is way too expensive", but she actually listened and said: "Okay, I guess I have a year and a half to look for one."

The next week later, she told me that she started looking into the card because she knew it would only cost more if she waited to buy it next year. She actually told me she read about the difference between the 1951 Bowman and the 1952 Topps. She even knew about how some of the 1952 Topps cards got dumped in the ocean and how many collectors think the 1951 Bowman is undervalued right now. I was very surprised she took the time to learn about the card, but what really caught me off guard was when she said she already put in an offer for one.

The next day, she told me her offer got denied. She then asked me to help her look for one because she wanted to make sure she gets the one I like. After a week of searching and negotiating with sellers, we purchased a PSA 1 on eBay. The card arrived yesterday and now wrapped up in a box with a "happy birthday letter" (from my wife) inside our safe. I cannot open it up until my 40th birthday: November 2018. I used to dread my 40th birthday, but now I cannot wait to turn 40.

Last edited by REGGIE206; 04-28-2017 at 09:05 PM.