View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I guess the question, at least to me, is who else authenticates the autographs besides Keating and Corcoran over at PSA. I think we've all heard the horror stories of barely trained "kids" authenticating (or not) over at JSA. I would never have a problem if I knew that a Keating, or Corcoran, etc. were looking at anything I submitted or that had looked at something I wanted to purchase.
With that said, and with another recent thread in mind, it doesn't matter who authenticates an autograph...if I don't personally like it, I don't want it in my collection. Why buy or keep something that you personally have questions about?
Absolutely, the TPAs should be able to explain and justify their basic procedures, their "quality control" so to speak. I do know that as hard as they work and as much traveling as they do, Kevin and Bill must be looking at a hell of a lot of vintage stuff, and I'm sure they are always available to pass final judgement on things others might be on the fence about. I hope I don't come across as sounding like some kind of shill for PSA, I have absolutely nothing to do with them, and have never met Joe Orlando. I just think that TPAs generally have been a good thing for the hobby overall, and it's well known the regard I hold for Keating. But collectors that really know autographs should never give up their own judgements any more than card collectors should blindly accept grading by the TPAs. "Buy the card/autograph, not the slab," seems like good advice in both instances.