Thread: Jews
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
Peter_Spaeth

I just don't think it is a good title...same if I had a title called BLACKS....simply not a good title in my opinion!! I don't want to make a fight about it to me it is just a bad title. I find it offensive and I am not even Jewish!!

Post # 8
Jews is simply the plural form of Jewish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew

To describe someone as black, white, or Hispanic is standard usage (law enforcement, news media, demographic data, etc.) and not offensive unless mixed in with other slurs.

But I did find this in the Wikipedia page:

According to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition (2000):
It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive. In such contexts Jewish is the only acceptable possibility. Some people, however, have become so wary of this construction that they have extended the stigma to any use of Jew as a noun, a practice that carries risks of its own. In a sentence such as There are now several Jews on the council, which is unobjectionable, the substitution of a circumlocution like Jewish people or persons of Jewish background may in itself cause offense for seeming to imply that Jew has a negative connotation when used as a noun.[22]
So if you were to say, "Jew card collector", it may be offensive to some.

Last edited by SetBuilder; 06-09-2013 at 09:34 PM.