View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Default Autograph ID and interesting collegiate pickup

I am something of a serial thrift store picker, but only rarely do I find anything baseball related. Today, much to my surprise, I spotted three baseballs, all intriguing for their own reasons, and well worth the 96 cents each I was charged (if for no other reason than to have some quality balls to play catch with).

First, I found a William D. White National League ball with an unidentified signature on it. It feels familiar to me, but I just can't figure out who it is. Any help with an ID would be much appreciated!

Second, I found what appear to be two collegiate game balls. Both are ID'd as being college balls, and both contain inscriptions (unfortunately not very attractive) - "FSU April 25, 1992" and "5/1/92 Texas". Google results show that Miami played FSU on April 25, 1992, so I am assuming the former owner was a player on that team. I couldn't find a Texas or Miami schedule to verify.

If anyone has any interest in the collegiate baseballs, let me know -- I'd love to trade them for something similarly interesting but not necessarily valuable (my main interest is 40's-50's Brooklyn Dodgers/NY Giants), or failing that give them away to a good home.