View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Steve, Pats should be favored, but I have never seen an offense like Atlanta. They have scored an opening drive touchdown in 8 straight games! That's just insane. If I was Arthur Blank, I would offer Kyle Shanahan a contract that exceeds any other Coordinator. If he does takes the 49ers job, I think it's a huge mistake...
Over the last several years I've come to believe that at least in football things really come down to the overall organization. You see glimpses of how dysfunctional some other teams are and it makes you wonder how they attract any coaching talent at all. The 49ers seem pretty messed up right from the top down.

I haven't followed Atlanta much at all, but I'd have to believe they have something similar to the other good teams where the people they hire are allowed to make their decisions without a lot of public second guessing.
Add a bit of stability, they had a few not so great seasons and I don't recall much talk about moving Ryan in favor of a different QB like some teams do at the slightest downturn. He's always been good, and made a lot fewer mistakes this year. I don't know enough about them to get an idea if he's finally got a better offensive line or if something finally fell into place. Young guys tend to try to make some throws because sometimes they can (Farve never seemed to outgrow that) At some point it either takes them to backup land or out of football, or they stop doing it.

One of the more recent things I saw - I forget if it was preseason or late last year- was in the same week a Pats practice squad guy saying Brady had given him a pretty decent little bonus out of his own pocket for intercepting him in practice. Maybe two days later there was an article about the Dolphins starter getting picked off in practice and going off on the practice squad guy along the lines of "enjoy you practice squad life and practice squad pay"
Don't have to see too many of those stories to realize why some guys never really get it together.

Should be a good game, of course I'm hoping the Pats win, by enough that it's not a nail biter but close enough to be interesting. It won't be horrible if Atlanta wins.

Steve B