View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

A few things to add, and of course a Jeter comment.

With Jeter it was the overdone acclaim that I didn't like. "he dove into the Fenway stands and hit his head on a seat! Greatest play EVER!!!"
No, not even close.
But that play was interesting on other levels.
One, that the fans didn't obstruct him shows how much respect he had even in Boston. I'd seen another Yankee player go well into the stands in the same area years before (some rookie third baseman or shortstop I forget who) and it was practically a mugging. Went into the crowd for a ball, came out with no ball, no glove, no hat, and a torn jersey. (We like our souvenirs! ) It took security to get his glove back, but the hat was long gone.
On a different level, it may have also indicated the changing times with a crowd that was more subject to being tossed and had paid much more for the ticket behaving a lot better. I suspect that not getting in his way probably is what led to him hitting the seat, so maybe the crowd just got smoother.

The bits to add are

My wife is from near DC, so we have an agreement. I'm also an Orioles/Redskins fan as long as they're not playing The Sox/Patriots. (Hey, the skins were a Boston team, so it's totally ok)
And my brother went to West Point, so I'm a bit into Army football. Great games in a really neat small old fashioned stadium. If you get the chance to go you should.