View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
William Peebles

These are vintage style base balls. They're made by me personally. I researched each style individually and created a custom leather and stitch pattern for each particular style of ball. I also make reproductions of 19th and early 20th century gloves. Everything has my company name on it.

Amateur ball, this style dates to the 1860's and is typical of the first style of "manufactured" base balls. This style originated in NYC and would have been used by the first amateur teams in the area.

League ball, this style dates to the 1870's and 1880's. It was the first style of ball to be made in a base ball factory. The first professional teams would have used a ball of this style.

The American Association, aka the "Beer and Whiskey League" used a ball like this during their short existence from 1882-1891. The construction is slightly different than the League ball.

Professional Dead Ball, similar in style to the League ball.

Professional League ball, same style and construction as would have been made for use in the Major Leagues, circa 1910. The ball pictured is stitched in the National League style, Red and Black with Black stamping. The American League style is similar, Red and Blue stitching with Blue stamping.

Federal League ball. As everyone knows, they only existed for two seasons, 1914 and 1915. They used a ball like this.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com

Last edited by william_9; 04-18-2010 at 09:32 PM.