View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SCG -- Discount Valuation

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

Thread cited: PSA Half Grades(last post 1/20/08)

Question asked (by Barry Sloate to Jim Crandell):

"Jim- my comment was not meant to be unfriendly. But there is still one aspect of this process that simply baffles me. And I would like your take on it, or anyone else's:

If during the course of examining your collection, PSA finds just one card that is clearly trimmed- let's say it's just one card out of 22,000, and surely even you will admit that is possible- do they pull it out of circulation and put it in an "Authentic" holder, or do they pretend they never saw it and just throw it back in the pile?

Because I am going to give them some credit here and say their grading skills have improved over time, and cards graded 5-10 years ago may not be as state of the art as those graded today. So now that they are about to get an inordinate number of resubmissions, they are going to see things. And I would like to know how they are going to handle it.

Fair question I think."

Response (by Jim Crandell)

"Barry,

Every card that is not upgraded to an 8.5 or a 9 is returned in the same holder it was sent to them in.

Jim"

That pretty clearly says to me that pursuant to the deal PSA made with Jim C, they would not take his altered cards out of circulation. Subsequent to that exchange I and others, both in that thread and others, challenged Jim on that point and not once did he ever refute it.

What matters to me is not what people say but what they do. I have little interest in what public spin PSA is putting on this question. Indeed, it would be quite naive to believe they would ever admit publicly that they will consciously allow an altered graded card in a PSA holder that was re-submitted to them to return to circulation. I can just see the legal sharks circle around them on that one. What they do out of the public glare, though, is a different matter, and that is what means a heck of a lot more to me.

But, hey, maybe I do have this all wrong. So let's put it to a test. Jim Crandell has agreed to re-submit all 22,000 of his cards to PSA. Let him come on and refute what I have said. Let him tell us that when he resubmitted those 22,000 cards to PSA, he was okay with them checking for alterations. And for those found to be altered, PSA refused to return them to him in their current holders. If in fact Jim will come on and say this, then you know what? I'll be a very happy guy. Because then FINALLY we will see both Jim C and PSA putting their money where their mouths are and doing something good for the hobby, despite their perceptions that what they are doing is against their economic interest.