View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 11:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Right, Steve - that's one part of the puzzle, I guess, but the thing that seems inscrutable to me is why would Berger, or anyone else at Topps, be worried about such "insecurity" with their trash in 1960? Eight-year-old cards would have been considered practically worthless, wouldn't they? If someone, or anyone, wanted them, why not just give them away?
That's hard to say.
I suppose it could affect the local sales if stores were "encouraged" to stock 8 year old cards. And that might reflect poorly on the company.

It's pretty common today for companies to secure even old stocks that are destined for the trash.
The makerspace I'm a member of got a bunch of hardware etc donated from a local branch of a big company when it closed. They had a very good but old machine shop for repairing their equipment. I asked about the machines, not necessarily as donations, but if they could be bought if not donated.
Nope. They were afraid of liability.. If I bought the building I suppose, but the assumption was that it would get bulldozed into a hole or hauled away with the rest of the building if/when it got torn down.