View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default This board COULD be so much better!

Posted By: warshawlaw

I am not sure that jealousy or envy are the core emotions driving some of the posts. Jealousy comes from begrudging someone their success. I honestly do not believe that there are many people here who are that petty. I think it is more accurate to say that many collectors are fed up with the money element being the focus of discussion and are voicing their disapproval when money is mentioned as the key to collecting. When someone relatively new comes out of the box talking money, money, money and brings postwar cards into play to boot, it turns off a lot of people here and they say so. It isn't that the value of cards is taboo or a bad topic (I enjoy a good investment thread and usually get into it), it is that making money the focus of everything really doesn't sit well with some of the posters here. Lots of us, myself included, come here to avoid talking about money, so when we see a post that cheerleads monetary considerations as the core of collecting, we react.

I also think some folks also have to lighten up and remember that this is a community of collectors. There is no place for ad hominem (personal) attacks. If you make a post and someone trashes your opinion, trash theirs back, but don't trash them. That other Adam got run not merely because he was as venal as can be but because he was disingenuous, rude and intolerant of others.

Edited to say:

Personal attacks are encouraged on the following: the Dodgers current ownership and management team, Barry Bonds and the rest of the syringe boys, All reprint sellers, Roy Huff and his cut out compadres, Joe Orlando, PRO grading and Bud Selig.