View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
longtime — longer than the past month or so — collectors of memorabilia have known the importance of doing due diligence and not taking items at face value or being lulled by a flowery auction description. long before items in the Halper collection were exposed for not being what they were purported to be did knowledgeable collectors know about the large amount of fakes, doctored and “restored” vintage pieces. so to answer the OP’s question, you’re about 30 years late with it.
I didn’t suggest there isn’t fraud. I’m sure it is. But as someone said later in the thread, in many areas we aren’t depending on grading companies to make minute or illusory judgment calls to assess whether something is extremely
Valuable as opposed to just valuable. I own a Lou Gehrig contract. Its value both objectively and subjectively to me personally is because it’s a Gehrig contract. Not because someone at PSA said it’s a 9 or a 10. And it came with sufficient providence that I have a very high degree of certainty that it’s not a forged document. It’s authentic and not dependent on someone somewhere behind a curtains opinion as to how good it is.