View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 08:47 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

One of the biggest mistakes of my life was consigning several autographs to CC back in the mid-1990s when they had 2-3-dozen-page auctions in SCD.

I had several signed full-sized Nike posters (Ron Cey, Gaylord Perry, Lance Parrish, Mike Schmidt/Steve Carlton, Dale Murphy, as well as a Johnny Unitas signed football, 1941 Life Magazine signed by Ted Williams, and a Chesterfield cigarettes ad signed by Williams and Stan Musial. The Cey, Perry, Parrish, Murphy and Williams autographs were each obtained by me in-person. I sent the Chesterfield ad to Stan c/o his restaurant, via USPS (I had already got Williams to sign it), and he signed and returned it within a week! None of the items went for anything that approaches their value at the time. The Nike posters went for single-digit bids.

I got the two Ted Williams autographs back in the early 1980s when he was in San Diego for the SD Hall of Champions' annual dinner. I had to chase Ted through the Hotel/Convention Center parking lot to get them, and perhaps begrudgingly, he signed both of them. While he seemed to not be too happy, he did sign them very nicely, and he was cordial. I remember the main reason I sold them was because there was no way to protect and display them. They were both roughly 11-15 inches (Life Magazine size), and oversized holders did not exist at the time

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox