View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
Great idea for a thread! I love to collect Joe Jackson items.
Thank you, Tony. I just beat Matt to it. But, I'm right there with you. As far as the hobby is concerned, Shoeless Joe represents a perfect storm of sorts-a great baseball player, an enigmatic man, involvement in one of the most interesting moments in baseball history, and relative scarcity of pre-war collecting options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Here's a low-resolution scan of my one Shoeless Joe card; will take a better one when I have it in hand.

Matt, that's a real stunner. Can't wait to see the high res scan. It appears to be one of the nicer examples I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Yes, the backs are different. 144 cards in 14 and 176 in 15. The cards themselves are different too. The 1914's are on thinner stock, which is amazing considering how thin the 15's are anyway.

Also, all 14's have some degree of staining since they were only available in boxes of Cracker Jack. The 15's could be ordered directly and many are found without staining.
Thank you for the information, Don. A little education along with all this eye candy is a good thing, methinks. Since there's always the chance that a non Cracker Jack enthusiast might be inspired to add some of the cards to their collection, it would be most helpful to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
I'm almost POSITIVE this card features Shoeless Joe...
David, I'll share the link back to the epic discussion that took place on Net 54 about this very card:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=124045

Kenny, thank you for the additional information.

I am loving this thread, guys. Some amazing pieces in your collections. How inspiring, indeed!

By the way, John Thorn, who is Major League Baseball's official historian, recently showcased an article about Jackson that appeared in Baseball Magazine from March of 1916. I found the article interesting, as it was obviously published prior to the 1918 World Series. Reading about the man without any hint of the stigma that would later attach to his name provides an unadulterated look at the man, and his talents.

http://ourgame.mlblogs.com/2013/08/0...r-in-the-game/

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 09-09-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: additional responses added