View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Default JimStinson

Looks like no one has pulled the trigger on this one yet so I will. Corbett usually almost always signed his name Jas. J. Corbett, Unusual to see one signed "Jim", however, he had a habit of dating what he signed and a unique way of dating it , Month , day, a line and then the last two digits of the year. This one fits that , He had a distinctive capitol "T" in To to start the inscription , this one fits , his inscriptions were usually more lines than words (a couple words per line) This one fits , Ink seems darker than it should be BUT I'll guess this is heavy stock double weight paper which would absorb more ink and keep the signature dark these many years. Lastly disregarding the unusual "Jim" instead of typical "Jas. J." the last name is a match. So if any of the above makes sense In conclusion I'd say its good.
By the way Corbett wrote his own auto biography its called "The Roar of the Crowd" One of the best sport related books ever even if you are not a boxing fan its a great read. Corbett was very active in vaudeville as was the person the photo is inscribed to as mentioned in an earlier post. Enough supporting evidence for a thumbs up IMHO, Nice Snag !