View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Default League Leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
Well I know they had league leaders in 1961 and up so maybe that was the first year.
I've been collecting the Topps League Leader cards for awhile. Almost have the whole run. I highly recommend this as a collection. It's a relatively inexpensive way to get a ton of great players and to learn about guys you never realized had such great statistical seasons. '61 was the first year and I consider the master set to run through 1984. Topps ran a LL series every year for those 24 years. After that they didn't do it on a regular basis or didn't do it in the base product.

Obviously these aren't difficult cards to find so I try to keep the hunt fun and I'm in no hurry. I don't buy these on-line, only at shows. There are always plenty around so it gives me something to look for and talk about when I'm at a show.

My other major collection is a George Brett master set (from his playing years only). This one will keep me busy forever. Some of the oddball cards are tough to find. I have about 350 of the 700 unique cards that I've been able to identify. And yet I constantly come across new cards I didn't know about and aren't catalogued.