View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Val Kehl

FWIW, I obtained UVA baseball team's 1889 record from the UVA sports website, which led me to conclude this cabinet this wasn't UVA's baseball team because the W - L records didn't match.

Shawn, after having now googled Allan/Allen Potts, the only complete name I can read, it does appear there is a UVA connection of some sort. I found this piece which describes how UVA's colors came to be orange and blue:

"The UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA started playing football around 1886. One of the first organized teams of Mr. Jefferson’s University, they got their familiar colors from an unlikely source. After starting out in an Ohio State-like silver and red, the students had a meeting to try and come up with something more appealing. A star of the 1888 team was Allen Potts, who had just returned from a trip to Oxford. He had come home with an orange and blue scarf (“Oxford” Blue, anyone?) and it was tossed into the crowd."

And, the following excerpt comes from this source: http://uvamagazine.org/articles/1888...range_and_blue

"For decades, the scarf that inspired the University’s orange-and-blue colors appeared to have been lost in the fog of history. But during research for the documentary film Wahoowa: The History of Virginia Cavalier Football, writer and director Kevin Edds (Col ’95) picked up the trail of the almost mythical “handkerchief” described in the College Topics article (below).

Allen Potts, the owner of the scarf and a UVA track, football and baseball star, proved to be the central clue in Edds’ treasure hunt. By tracing the Potts family tree, Edds located Potts’ great-granddaughter Jane Potts, who told him the framed scarf had been destroyed in a fire that burned his home, “Happy Creek,” to the ground. Along with the bad news, he also received some good news: The scarf had been cut in half, and a piece might still exist."

The OP says the cabinet photo depicts a semi-pro team. Perhaps Potts and some of the other UVA players played on a semi-pro team during the summer recess from college.

Shawn, are you able to provide any further specific info?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.