View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
I love the humor in this thread but as someone who collects coupons I'll offer an alternate review.

This is the second, maybe third graded coupon I've seen, all Goodwin N173 coupons. Out of the hundreds of different early tobacco coupons, there are only a handful that would cover the grading fee, this being one of them. As of late these N173 coupons have fetched $50-$100 each, far more than they would garner a mere ten years ago. In most cases it would be a bad idea to grade coupons (from a value perspective).

If PSA and others wish to legitimately authenticate coupons they should try to become knowledgeable on them (not easy, very little available material). PSA has a couple mistakes on this rather popular and recognizable coupon . . . It was issued in 1889 (not 1887) and shouldn't reference N172. All Goodwin US tobacco packs in 1889 likely included this coupon or one very similar to it (3 different 1889 coupons). Some of these Goodwin cigarette packs didn't include N172s but instead N165 and others. A more accurate label would read . . .

1889 Goodwin Redemption Coupon - Type 2
Redemption for N173, A36, A37, A35, & A38

I list the albums in the order they are referenced on the coupon.
+1

I love the Tobacco coupons and have collected them for years, mine found a good new home with Joe a few years back. These were inserted into the packs of tobacco with the cards and offered the premiums like N173’s, and (more commonly) for the highly collected albums that were offered by the various companies. I have no problem with them being graded.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562