View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 03:29 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Is it safe to buy graded? Or should I focus only on raw?

Been thinking about getting rid of all of my modern and focusing solely on vintage. But I'm needing help. I was wanting to add some quality to my PC. Am looking to change my PC up to where whenever I pass, it'll be easy for my wife or whomever to move. That's why I'm wanting to move away from modern and into vintage. Not sure if I want to focus on sets or buying just the stars. But here's my dilemma that I need help with.

Have dabbled in vintage before (built a 1958 Topps set that took over a year to build, which is way too long, partially built 1957 Topps and 1962 Topps sets and had some other stuff), but I had to sell all of my vintage at the time I sold them. Wanting to get back into it.

With all the grading fiasco going on, is it safe to buy graded vintage at this point? I would be looking for grades between 5-7 for the most part when it comes to stars and RCs. I'm not looking for 9s and 10s, which is what I'd guess would be trimmed.

So should I just focus on raw and buy raw? Or is it okay to buy graded? How do I tell if a graded card has been trimmed and graded? Heck, are raw cards trimmed too? Grading scares me, modern scares me because of the volatility and availability of autos, inserts, #d, etc.

Just at a cross roads in my collecting days. Heck, I've thought about giving up on collecting all together. But I don't want to do that. I enjoy the hobby too much. I'm just trying to focus on more quality instead of quantity.

Vintage is what I want to get into. What should I do?

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 06-02-2019 at 04:27 PM.