View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 06:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

People at shows have to realize there must be a gentle balance to the two sides of a dealer's table. I'm only a buyer, not a seller, but here's what I would add to the topic...

Buyers:
If I'm at a show, I love finding the dealers I can talk to about the cards I'm interested in, baseball in general, and other fun and friendly things. BUT…there comes a point where I, the buyer, has to realize that these people are here to make money. I can't hog their time and then walk away without purchasing anything, because it makes me feel like I'm ripping them off.

Conclusion: They're here to work and turn a profit. Don't waste too much of their time if you're only a tire kicker. Remember the ones who treat you right, and spend your money with them at the next show when they have something you need. And also realize that a lot of these guys are dead tired from working the room all day. It's exhausting.

Sellers:
Most buyers know what we're looking for. I mean, come on, don't use car salesman tactics on me. If I'm wearing my Mets hat and I'm glancing at your table, please stop pestering me with, "You're a Mets fan?? I got this PSA 9 Cleon Jones rookie. And take a look at this Casey Stengel card when he was the Yankees skipper. What about Tom Seaver? I have a few of his cards that are graded 7's but should be 8's!"…and on and on. And, no, I'm not making that up. There's no way in heck you're going to talk me into buying something based solely on a connection to the hat I'm wearing.

Conclusion: Always, always, always be friendly and inviting, but let people peruse your stuff at their own pace and ask questions when they're ready. If someone is lingering, trying to get your attention, let them know you'll get to them in a second. Courtesy goes a very long way and it usually pays off. If not now at this show, then in the future at some other event. I always seek out those great, gregarious sellers at the shows out here and spend money with them time and time again.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.