View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 PM

Default Good Eye

Steve, Good observation...yes I too took note of J. Berger winning both first and second place...I figured once I get my $35.00 copy I'll read the whole story that surrounds the trophies and learn the reason...though I surmised he, Berger, probably entered more than one team...by a quick cursory look into the question I was able to establish that the winner of the 1910 race entered three different teams...and won first and thrid place...So apparently it wasn't unusual for someone to enter more than one team.

http://www.nomekennelclub.com/nkchistory.htm
Excerpted from "Nome Kennel Club History" - Howard Farley's History of the Nome Kennel Club written in 1985.?
....The record which still stands today, eighty years later, was set in 1910 by teams brought over from the Siberian side. They were Siberian huskies, dogs brought over by Fox Maule Ramsey. He entered three teams in the 1910 All Alaska Sweepstakes and he took the number one position with a man driving for him who was called Iron Man Johnson. That record of 74 hours and some odd minutes stands to this date. Fox Maule also took third place at that race with a team of those Siberians that he was driving himself....