View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 11:03 PM
Dave Becker

Rarity doesn't equate to value. A rare set doesn't really help a collectible market much -- what does drive interest up is very high demand for items that are not rare. Football is not that.

There must be sufficient demand and there just aren't enough enough post-war football sets with high demand relative to the demand for baseball.

Of the top 25 or so sports cards ranked by price paid I don't think there is a single football card in the list.

The correct answer to the OP's question is that ALL sports cards across the board are going to see a decrease in the number of collectors. You have to get the younger generations more interested, but it's just not cool to be a young collector of pictures on cardboard. Not when you have video game systems, internet and other newer technologies that are much more popular and relevant to fill the time. Even comic books are getting much more interest than sports cards these days. Sports cards are for granddad.

You go to a card shop these days and you don't see kids often. At least I don't in the shops that I go to. What you do see is a lot of guys with white hair.

--Dave

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.