View Single Post
Old 09-30-2023, 08:40 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Do the cards get high prices because of the sticker, or do the cards get high prices because they genuinely look nice? PWCC stickers may draw extra attention to the card, but I tend to think these cards sell on their own merits, not because of the sticker attached to the slab.
In my opinion, those stickers tend to wind up on well-centered cards. These days, many (most?) collectors place a premium on centering.

So, it would make sense that well-centered cards with a PWCC sticker will sell for more. In my opinion, this is because they're well-centered cards.

###

Related opinions - an unbelievably high percentage of those same collectors aren't really looking at many card attributes other than centering. It's almost as if nothing else matters to the masses.

Imagine a random VG 3 vintage HOFer with print spots, surface wrinkles, and a thumbnail gouge along one edge. If it's centered reasonably well, people will say it looks "strong for the grade" and charge a significant premium for it.

It makes me wonder...why get cards graded in the first place if all anyone seems to care about is the centering component of eye appeal?

(yes, I realize the answer is money)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra