View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 05:59 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
There are many components of eye appeal. The only one people seem to care about, though, is centering.
It's largely individual preference, unless you are one of these types that cares more about hobby trends and sentiment than you do how your cards look to you.

I tried briefly to get on the centering train probably about a decade ago. It's not for me. I would much rather have a slightly OC card that has nice color and image focus, and decent corners than I would have a card that tolerates other flaws all in the name of centering almighty. Some of the YouTube channels I subscribe to, and I see people lauding perfect centering on cards with noticeable print flaws, or that might be slightly faded. This has never made sense to me. I don't like miscut cards or 90/10 OC in most cases, but to me most everything else looks at least decent, and moreover how I remember cards coming out of the pack in the late 1980's and earlier.

As we go forward especially in a hobby where it's becoming painfully evident that slabgate didn't make a difference - to me less than perfect centering is going to start to become evidence of authenticity / unaltered cards for those of us who still care. Cards 50+ years ago by and large even coming out of the pack did not conform to the standards some want to force them into today, to get into these ridiculously high grade slabs.

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-02-2023 at 06:17 AM.