View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default What is next in 21st century card collecting

Posted By: E, Daniel

as Mike makes mentions above of a corvette.......

When I go and buy a new car, do I drive it to determine if I like the experience??? YES. (eg. holding a card in my hand)
Do I estimate the value/quality of the manufacturer? YES. (eg. is it an issue I appreciate, for any and all reasons)
Do I look over the car at panel fit and finish, quality of plastics used, etc.. to decide if the car feels like a quality choice? YES. (eg. checking out a card under a loupe, or large scans to determine condition)

And then what do I do?
I go to third parties for opinions.
Car and Driver.
Consumer Reports.
Safety reports.
Resale reports.
Where the car finished in yearly awards given by the Driving Expert community based on a wide, wide set of variables.

And then I make my decision.
So, even if I love a car in person, how it drives, etc.., I still won't buy it if I feel people with even greater expertise than I have judge it to be a poor choice.

And its a WISE, WISE choice to do so.

So, with something with such a smaller set of variables like cardboard I'll take a chance if the item is in hand, and I can run over my checklist to establish its worth.
If the card resides somewhere else, in private hands or Auction House, then give me a third party opinion every night and day - even where I was to disagree with it, to help me wisely allocate my families scarce resources.
SGC are the only company i trust completely (even understanding they will make mistakes occasionally) to help me in this process.

And that too, is not a knucklehead position.

Daniel