View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Matt E.
Banned

Default Where did the years go?

At the 2012 National in Baltimore my son, Turner and I finished our T205 Master set, buying our final card from our friend Ted Z. who just happened to have it sitting on his table. It was a T205 Hippo Vaughn SGC 60. After quite some time searching there it was!

We are finished minus the Hobby No Stats which we may get someday.

A little history: We were box breakers, pulling bat, jersey and autograph cards thru the years 2001- 2005, until we got so bummed out finding that the hits were far and few and what we did pull was not as valuable as we thought.

However, in November 2005 attending the Columbus, Ohio card show a dealer had a majority of the set for sale at a very reasonable price and we bought them. Honestly the cards were crappy, but it was what we needed to try at that time. What began as an all raw set that had an average grade of Authentic - SGC 10 at best now resides in all SGC 50 and 60 holders and holds the number one SGC T205 Master Set spot.

There were many times we took major steps backwards by selling a high dollar card to purchase a group of commons that were needed in the next grade, whether is was a 20, 30, 40, 50.

At one point I had given up on the set and wanted to sell it, but through Turner’s persistence the set kept growing. He always pointed out cards on Ebay or Net 54 BST that we could upgrade. Sometimes clicking “buy it now” within ten minutes of a card being listed, telling me it was a good deal and we needed the card. We even bought a few cards from Levi, yikes!!

I am proud to say that without the help of my son, Turner who was just 10 years old in 2001 when he entered the hobby our T205 set would not be finished nor at the current set grade of SGC- 52.26. Thanks T!
Turner is now a Junior at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio

I will probably fall away from cards a little bit now by only attending the National since our multi year quest has been completed. A far cry from the times when we would jump in the car on a Sunday drive 60 miles to a 10 table card show. Congratulating ourselves on the way home... admiring the Fergie Jenkins auto or the Adam Dunn jersey card we pulled at the show, "Oh my it's kinda funny now".

Dad

The set can be viewed here......http://imageevent.com/babybingbaseba...erconstruction

SGC Registry can be viewed here.......http://sgccardregistry.com/set.aspx?...4&userset=1818

One of my favorite pictures of Turner at the age of 14.

Last edited by Matt E.; 08-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.