Thread: Mickey Mantle
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Chris

His rarest cards that were actually issued (I.e., not the test issued cards that only Al really owns) are the following:
1. Mascot Dog Food - 2 known
2. Yamakatsu - 2 known
3. 1959 Venezuelan - cream back - 2 known
4. Pittsburgh Exhibits - think there are less than 5 known of each variation but not certain
5. Yoo Hoo Card (I think it was a test issue but doubt everyone agrees)
6: Holiday Inn Postcard - three panel variety - 2-3 known
7. 1968 Topps Game - Square Corned (likely sheet cut) - 1 known
8. Others that are probably more common than those but still incredibly difficult to find and likely still less than 5-10 examples: Dad's Cookies; Exhibit Postcard Backs (both variations); Briggs Meats; 1954 Stahl Meyer (no clue why this one is so difficult); Topps Plak (not produced by Topps in my opinion)

Then there are the test issues which are insane: Topps Dice Game; 1966 and 1967 Topps Disks; Topps Standup thing Al posts that's beyond cool; 1966 Topps Punch Board (whatever year the tough one is); 1967 Topps Punch outs (both variations)

All pop report numbers are based on what I've seen and not likely accurate as I'm forgetful and don't have the money for these cards and am pretty sure there are more out there that aren't graded and aren't publicly know.

Ps. His cards are awesome because he spans almost the entirety of the 1950s and all of the 1960s, are two of the better decades of baseball cards. Plus, he was in so many of the oddball sets during this time that there is something for almost every budget from the period, from ~$10.00 on up.