View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

A few small things from yard sales, nothing much really impressive. 33 goudey for a dollar, but with scrapbook paper stuck to the back. A few other batches of cards but nothing special.

Flea market though. When we were moving after HS we set up at a yard sale ish flea market in the town skating rink. I had some bikes I'd grabbed to fix, but didn't want to sell. At least until I saw the fenway seat a few booths over. I came back to ask my parents for the money, and there were a few people looking at bikes. I dropped the prices, sold them all in about 2 minutes and went and got the seat. $20! The womans husband had worked on a park renovation in the early 70's and saved a seat from the trash.

My other best find was through my brother. He played softball with a couple kids he sort of knew. Came home and said they'd cracked a really old bat and he told them to keep it because I might want it. Swapped a newish bat, Hank Aaron store model that was a bit big for me at the time for the cracked one and a couple others he threw in. A batrite, a D+M, and the cracked one made by Bon-Topper bat co in Hartford with a Fred Parent sig stamped on the barrel. I'm pretty sure it's a gamer.

Steve B