View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
As far as being scarce, 1952 Topps high numbers are plentiful as being compared to many regional issues and Topps test issues. I agree that there is a huge demand for them which explains the high prices, but if someone has the money they could easily purchase every card from 311 to 407 in at least PSA 6, many of them in PSA 7 and PSA 8, on eBay today. I counted thirty cards of 1952 Topps Pee Wee Reese available on eBay right now. In comparison, the stuff I am looking for is never available, and when it does pop up once every five years it is scooped up by a whale.
Cliff I agree the 52 hi #s are plentiful in comparison to many other of the lower pop issues you mention. As I have been building this set in PSA 5 or better and am about 80% complete, I have noticed that with many of the highs (and even cards from all series of this set), there are a decent selection available on ebay. However, the reason I find that so many are available are the fixed prices are significantly higher than what the market brings on a similar graded card via auction. For example a centered PSA 4 Reese sold for $566, the least expensive PSA 4 copy available via fixed price is priced at $699.

IMO, there would be far fewer fixed price offerings of these 52 Highs if the listed prices were much more in line with auction results. In other words, the supply is only high because these fixed prices are higher than what the market will bring on these cards. I probably would have finished my set long ago if the fixed price listings were even remotely close to auction prices as I have built my set to this point either via auction wins or by waiting for fixed priced listings to show up at auction type prices.

As far as overall availability, the Reese card has 558 copies graded by PSA (less any resubmits), while most other SP 52 highs have between 400-500 copies graded by PSA.