View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Jeff P

Wink

Sorry, meant to double space my response

Seriously, I haven't been able to figure out a decent monster number for vintage football. I agree that no set makes sense as they are too small. Perhaps a combination of pre-war football sets would produce a challenging monster number to shoot for but probably wouldn't be of interest to most people.

I like your monster number. KISS is usually the best approach for things like this.

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Jeff,

You're just jealous. You are correct that the stock will never trade on the NYSE, Nasdaq or even on the Manitowoc Ferry, but one can argue that Green Bay is the most successful small market professional sports franchise in the history of the world. Furthermore with over one million owners, there continued presence in Green Bay should not be jeopardized by an Al Davis type owner, who took his team down and up the West Coast like a yoyo.

The stock certificates can be inherited, which is a problem for me with three sons and two daughters. I guess I'll just have to buy more shares the next time around.

With my tongue out of my cheek for a moment, I have no real plan to create a meaningful Monster Football Number. Admittedly I presumed that you did not own any stock and created the previous draft solely to insure that I would come out on top, albeit without Curly Lambeau

The "T206" Monster Number has many critics, but

The cards are not impossible to find.
Collectors like to finish sets.
Values assigned to the Big Four are meaningful, but quite arbitrary.
The key to its success has been the simplicity of calculation for the collector.
Keep it simple stupid was my guiding principle. No rare backs, no grades, no HOF premium, ... just the card.
I cite over 6500 "hits" with no sign of slowing down as ample evidence that I must have done something right and that there was demand or interest in the concept.

In football I cannot see the equivalent set or sets, with broad base appeal that are amply available, but yet nearly impossible to complete. The football sets of the 50s are relatively easy to complete. The Chicles with only 36 cards, 12 of which are quite difficult, would not have comparable breadth of interest. Other older issues would appeal to type collectors as in baseball, but probably would not fly for long as a component of a MFN.

I'm sure that you and others have terrific vintage football collections. I would be delighted as well if one day my 57 Topps Football set appreciated significantly as a result of the increased general popularity of football. I'm collecting 1950 Bowman Football (but not 1950 Bowman Baseball), perhaps for that reason.

If you really want to brainstorm this further, shoot me an Email and we can arrange to talk. By the way I had to check online to make sure there were 9 Hall of Famers on the 1961 Packers. I really had no idea, who was in and who wasn't.

Frank

PS - i rather like the Packer collage I created for this thread.