View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Robert,
I hadn't updated my sig in a while, but I'm also building the 1953 Bowman Color set. It's my favorite of all vintage and modern sets, and I struggle trying to decide if it, or the T206 set, is my favorite of all-time. The '53 Bowman color set is perfection, if you ask me. The photography is perfect. I mean, how can it get any better? The greats of the game, from one of the greatest eras in baseball history, with no typography to distract. Just the players in those old uniforms, and with those old, majestic stadiums behind them.

It's one of those I should be able to build in a few years, and continue upgrading for the rest of my life.

The first vintage card I bought was this '53 Bowman Ralph Kiner. It will be replaced, obviously, as I'm now pretty picky as to centering. But it's still beautiful to me. Next to he Brewers and Milwaukee Braves, the Pirates are my favorite franchise, so getting a '53 Kiner was a magical moment for me.

These next 5 I won from a Brockelman & Luckey auction. Nice, mid grade examples with great eye appeal, and really nice centering.

Then, finally, this last one last week. This should grade as excellent, maybe excellent +. I like it, regardless.

A few of my all-time favorite cards are in this set. The Pee Wee Reese is, obviously, a classic. It's unique to the set. But one of the very first cards I go after in the new year will br the '53 Bowman Stan Musial. It really doesn't get much better than that. As a Braves fan, The Warren Spahn and Eddie Mathews are beauties. And, of course, how can one not love the Mickey Mantle? That one will cost a small fortune in a strong grade. But, it will be worth it. That might be my favorite Mantle card.

Sweet cards, Bill! Yep, I am ALL about that Mantle! This set will be my 2015 project. Not sure if Mantle will happen this upcoming year or not, but sooner or later it will. Thanks for sharing.