View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Default Trinidad y Hno cards ......still fake???

Posted By: fkw

There never were plates for these, they are a newly discovered issue (2005), and were said to be fake as soon as they were brought to light (the only reason given was because if no one has seen them in last 55 years then they have to be modern fakes). I have yet to see true evidence they are not authentic. Obviously they are rare, but if any of you collect Cuban cards you will know there has been a large group of them being sold one at a time for last couple months with no duplicates that I have seen, all by a very well known Cuban card seller.

Gilbert, Most reprints will not have the dots. Because when a reprint company or printer designs the reprint card (take a T206 reprint for example) they will use only the photo area then add a new (blank) white border and then have to match the original caption as close as they can get it. Thats why its easy to tell a reprint in most cases because the caption font is slightly different or the caption ink is a different color or the main photo has been cropped a bit (ie. missing the black line around the photo on the T206 reprints).

The only reprint that will have the dots is one where the printer reproduce the complete card with borders and all. From a distance these will be the best looking reprints because they are exact copies of the authentic card. But if you look close there will be dots where there shouldnt be dots, especially noticed in the white border area.

Pete Calderon has a great page that shows this and other great info on reprints
http://www.caramel-cards.com/e95reprint.html

My question about the Trinidad y Hno cards..... if they are reproduced from the photos (with captions) in the Cuban Yearbook, then how did they do this without getting the dots in border? I have yet to see the yearbook, but from what others have said the photos are exactly the same as the cards with the same exact caption (font and all).

Oh well, Im going to treat them as authentic until someone can explain how these were faked many years later using the exact same photos and caption as something printed 55 years ago.