View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post
Harliduck, thanks for sharing, but I have to say I don't agree with your assessment. I have zero connection to Dean's Cards...never even bought from him. His prices are online. If someone wants to pay retail prices, and not negotiate, I don't believe the seller should be badmouthed. That's how retail business operates. That's just not fair to the seller. We all know an ungraded 1985 Topps Mike Schmidt in less than gem condition (Phillies fan, and just throwing out a rough example) is barely worth the paper it's printed on, but someone will pay $1 or $2 for it. Like you said, this was a gift, and it was a great gesture by your wife. If you feel he actually charged her more than his listed price, then that's another story, and I could agree with you.

Rob
I disagree with this. For one thing, it sounds like these were a bunch of commons that John needed for his sets. So, the prices were most likely not posted anywhere online. The dealer could tell that she didn't have a clue about fair prices. She was essentially handing him a blank check for the cards on the wantlist. In my opinion, he has 2 choices:
1. Sell them to her for a fair price, or
2. Charge her a ridiculously high price.
He had the opportunity to name his price, and he chose to take advantage of her. If he had given great customer service, and a fair price, he would deserve to have a post on here talking about how great of a dealer he is. With the way he chose to do business, he deserves the post that says "he can go f himself". All of this, imo of course.