View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Deans Cards is a frickin' joke!!!

I'm upgrading my 1972 set, so I'm constantly trawling ebay for many of the commons I need. Without question, every time I see a card priced ten times what other sellers have it listed for, I know it's our ole buddy Dean once again. It just makes me laugh how ridiculous his prices are. Clearly the guy has a screw loose and has no concept of reality. And sure, he's not doing anything illegal. A fact his apologists love to point out, as if that somehow justifies his exorbitant pricing techniques.

Case in point. The card on the left is what the esteemed Dean grades an 8. Yes, with 4 bad corners and other issues, he gives it an 8!! And his opening bid is...mind you, it's just the OPENING BID...$10.80. Yes, ten dollars and 80 freaking cents for a common you can usually grab up for under a dollar.

The card on the right is a different auction by an unknown seller. I wanted to find a card quite similar to Deano's offering and this was basically the first one I ran across that wasn't in rough shape. It has pretty sharp corners and is a little off center. The price? A buy it now of $1.79, which is about 1/6 of our hero, Dean's, opening bid price. One sixth!! And that $1.79, in itself, is way overpriced.

phils.jpg

Keep in mind that I didn't search this out to find a pathetically overpriced Dean card. I searched "Deans Cards 1972" and used the first listing found there. You can be absolutely certain that each and every one of his other cards is similarly price bloated. He/his company annoys the living bejesus out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.